Sunday, October 19, 2008


Waiting for Icarius


He said he would be back and we'd drink wine together

He said that everything would be better than before

He said we were on the edge of a new relation

He said he would never again cringe before his father

He said that he was going to invent full-time

He said he loved me that going into me

He said was going into the world and the sky

He said all the buckles were very firm

He said the wax was the best wax

He said Wait for me here on the beach

He said Just don't cry


I remember the gulls and the wave

sI remember the islands going dark on the sea

I remember the girls laughing

I remember they said he only wanted to get away from me

I remember mother saying: Inventors are like poets, a trashy lot

I remember she told me those who try out inventions are worse

I remember she added: Women who love such are the worst of all

I have been waiting all day, or perhaps longer.

I would have liked to try those wings myself.

It would have been better than this.



This picture up above the poem fits well with the poem and what is discussed in its contents. The figure in the picture has wings and the the main character of the poem talks about how she wishes she would have found her wings. So that she could search for the one she loved instead of just waiting on him because it seemed as if he was never coming back. The figure also looks a little crazy because the women who is waiting on the beach is crazy for doing so. This man is never coming back and it also shows how the other women around her think she is crazy. They are happy and she could be too if she would just leave this man and stop waiting on him.

1 comment:

mrogers said...

I think the picture you chose was a very fitting one for this poem. It included the wings that she said she wish she had, and it also looks a little crazy as you mentioned which is how the other girls thought of her for waiting on the beach for this man. The picture was a very good representation for the woman's feelings and attitude towards the man she is waiting on.